Hey, What’d I Miss? OTE Summary, 7/16 – 7/22
Jul 23, 2012 at 11:41 am
- Examining a potential shift to territorial taxation: the offshoring of jobs happens — it’s part of globalization — but the last thing you’d want to do from a policy perspective is incentivize more of it!
- Considering three monhts of falling retail sales: a negative trend in 2012q2 corresponds to the slower growth in the job market.
- Clarifying the difference between firms and establishments: is the lion’s share of job growth really coming from small businesses?
- Looking back on President Obama’s decision to rescue the two auto companies — GM and Chrysler — that were facing liquidation in 2009: a good deed goes unrecognized.
- Analyzing the tax debate from a sub-national level: no matter how you slice it, you will be very hard pressed to make an argument that Americans are overtaxed.
- Praising Brookings economist Bill Gale’s recent oped: a new, simple, smart plan for the fiscal cliff (and for solving a lot of other problems including sleep deprivation).
Bonus: got two minutes? Listen to my CBPP colleague Bob Greenstein explain the truth on the “fiscal cliff.”