- Thinking about what qualifies as “middle class”: most of us would probably agree that the cutoff is somewhere below the 98th percentile.
- Explaining where jobs come from: on the process of job creation, both in normal times and in times like these.
- Highlighting some new moves announced by the Fed: will it help?
- Considering the Census Bureau’s new data on poverty, incomes, and health coverage: the bottom line is, policy matters.
- Looking at the teachers’ strike in Chicago and value-added models, with a tip of the hat to this Steve Greenhouse piece.
- Pointing out how not to govern: in a better world, legislators would not accept temporary when they mean permanent.
Music: radio silence, no Musical Interlude! My bad, but to fill the void until next time: what were you all listening to this week?